Saba Rock, BVI
June 15, 2017
June 15, 2017
Show all



H. Lavity Stoutt Community College, Paraquita Bay, Tortola, BVI

Haldane Davies, Ph.D.
(284) 494-4994

The H. Lavity Stoutt Community College (HLSCC) was established in 1990 in the British Virgin Islands. The Main College Campus is located at Paraquita Bay which is at the south shore of Tortola between the two most densely populated areas, East End/ Long Look and The Greater Road Town. The College Campus is strategically placed within the heart of the Paraquita Bay Valley along the east-west corridor of the Blackburn Highway with Brandywine Bay to the west, and Hodge’s Creek to the east. It is surrounded by high hills which slope rapidly to the undulating lands of the valley and then gently to the Paraquita Bay Lagoon.

Construction of the first campus structure, The HLSCC Administrative Complex, was completed in 1993 and served about 400 students and faculty during the Fall 1993 semester. The wastewater generated by the student and faculty bodies was channeled to a newly constructed septic tank which trickled to an adjacent drainage field that was constructed for the purpose.

By the Fall of 2001, HLSCC enrollment had grown to over 700 students and a complement of 110 faculty, staff and officers. The College Campus houses 11 buildings that are clustered in one general area with over 80% of the wastewater flow channeled to the septic system that was constructed in 1993. The remaining 20% of wastewater flow was piped to a second septic system that was constructed in 1999.

The rapid growth of the campus population has resulted in severe failure of the once efficient drainage field. The College Administration, after careful analysis, preferred the installation of Cromaglass Secondary Treatment Facilities and subsequently engaged Caribbean Basin Enterprises (BVI) Limited to design, procure, construct and commission a Gravity Collection System and an expandable Tertiary Treatment and Recycle Wastewater Facility. This system was designed to collect and treat wastewater not only from existing campus buildings but also from buildings under construction in 2002, (including the Learning Resource Building) and those slated for completion in 2003, (including the Applied Marine Center Building). In protection of the territory’s most treasured lagoon, the facility was engineered to provide for an emergency pumping discharge to the existing septic tank system so as to prevent any accidental overflow to the Paraquita Bay Lagoon.

Contracted Works included:
Design and construct:

840 feet 6” gravity collection system with 9 manholes
Foundation slabs for the placement of equipment
Facility Control & Monitoring House
Treated Effluent disposal to recycle storage facility
Emergency pumping discharge from Pre EQ tank to existing 
Septic Tank System

Supply, Install and Startup:

5,000 gallons Cromaglass Aerated Pre-equalization Unit
18,000 gpd Cromaglass Secondary Treatment Equipment;
1# CA-120 (12,000 GPD)
1# CA-60 (6,000 GPD)
5,000 gallons Cromaglass Sludge Processing Unit
3,000 gallons Cromaglass Aerated Post Equalization Unit
5,000 gallons Cromaglass Chlorine Contact Tank
3,000 gallons Cromaglass Storage and Pumping Station
Andritz Model H7 Hydrasand Filter

Supervise Installation and Startup of:
Main electrical supply to facility
Standby generator with automatic transfer switch